Have a book you’d like me to review? Awesome! Take a gander at what I read and what I don’t read. I’m more than happy to review independently published books, but be wary – I will not lower my standards because a novel is self-published. Also, please remember that I am a working woman with a mild case of Scatterbrain and Lazitis. If I select your book to read, I will post the review on my site, on Goodreads, and on Amazon if I can.
What I like:
I read 98% fantasy, A/NA/YA. I am willing to consider mystery/whodunits, some light science fiction.
I like YA aimed at an older audience, 16+. For Adult, I’m not a fan of the “child in peril” plot, “MC goes to magic school,” or overly innocent main characters.
What I do not like:
- vampires/werewolves Twilight rip-offs
- comic book superheroes
- angels/demons or any kind of satanism/demonism
- legal thrillers/police procedurals
- children’s/middle grade/chapter books/picture books
- books where the dog dies
- chick-lit (If you think your book would be a great pick for Oprah’s Book Club or the Lifetime Movie Network, I won’t like it.)
- Sparks-esk romance
- cozy romance/mystery
- hard science fiction (Think The Martian)
- whiny/stupid protagonist
- literary anything
- short stories/poetry/anthologies/essays.
I am not accepting requests for nonfiction.
If you’re not sure if your novel fits into my likes or dislikes, go ahead and ask. Worst case scenario: I’ll decline. Go surf through my book reviews and see what I’ve said about other novels to get a better sense of what I like/dislike.
If I decide to read and review your book, I’ll contact you; due to the volume of review requests, I can’t respond to each one.
Do not send me your novel (or press release, or cover or anything else) in an attachment without me asking for it. I will not open it; I will not read it. If you do so, it tells me you didn’t make it this far into the guidelines. I will contact you if I am interested and ask for the attachment.
If I decide to review your book, I will ask for a mobi file (preferred), but I can also take a PDF. I’d love physical copy, but I understand the financial restrains of most authors. If I accept a free copy of your book, that does not guarantee a review; it does not grantee a good review.
My reviewing scale is 1-5, based on how much I enjoyed it, how well-written I thought it to be, as well as plot, character, and all that jazz.
I look forward to hearing from you. Yes, you.
But first, please read through all the submission guidelines.
To contact, send:
- your name/author’s name
- title of the book
- word count
- a brief summary of your work
- a rating (like a movie, G, PG, PG-13, R) and an explanation of why. (Like if there’s violence, language, or sex – I won’t judge you. I like to be prepared.)
Send to BBMorgan16(at)gmail.com. Enter “Book Review” in the subject bar so I won’t auto-delete.