Have a book you’d like me to review? Awesome! Take a gander at what I read and what I don’t read. I’m more than happy to review independently published books, but be wary – I will not lower my standards because a novel is self-published. Also, please remember that I am a working woman with a mild case of Scatterbrain and Lazitis. If I select your book to read, I will post the review on my site, on Goodreads, and on Amazon if I can.
What I like:
I read 98% fantasy. Mostly YA, but I’ve picked A and NA before. I like my YA aimed at the older audience, 16+.
I love anything in the way of Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, The Inventor’s Secret by Andrea Cremer, The Young Elites by Marie Lu, and The Queen’s Rising by Rebecca Loss. I’m a sucker for enemies that become lovers, sassy female protagonists, and killer plot.
What I do not like:
- vampires/werewolves – Twilight rip-offs
- zombies – no exceptions
- the supernatural teens go to high school/MC goes to magic school trope
- ‘child in peril’ premise
- comic book superheroes
- angels/demons or any kind of satanism/demonism
- children’s/middle grade/chapter books/picture books
- books where the dog dies
- chick-lit (If you think your book would be a great pick for Oprah’s Book Club or the Lifetime Movie Network, I won’t like it.)
- Sparks-esk romance or cozy romance/mystery
- hard science fiction (Think The Martian)
- whiny/stupid/overly naive protagonist
- literary anything
I am not accepting requests for nonfiction, anthologies, essays, or short stories.
If you’re not sure if your novel fits into my likes or dislikes, go ahead and ask. Worst case scenario: I’ll decline. Surf through my book reviews and see what I’ve said about other novels to get a better sense of what I like/dislike.
If I decide to read and review your book, I’ll contact you; due to the volume of review requests, I can’t respond to each one.
Do not send me your novel (or press release or cover or anything else) in an attachment without me asking for it. I will not open it; I will not read it. If you do so, it tells me you didn’t make it this far into the guidelines. I will contact you if I am interested and ask for the attachment.
Requests sent via mass-email programs will instantly be deleted.
If I decide to review your book, mobi is my preferred ebook. I’d love physical copy, but I understand the financial restrains of most authors. If I accept a free copy of your book, that does not guarantee a review; it does not grantee a good review.
My reviewing scale is 1-5, based on how much I enjoyed it, how well-written I thought it to be, as well as plot, character, and all that jazz.
I look forward to hearing from you. Yes, you.
But first, please read through all the submission guidelines.
To contact, send:
- your name/author’s name
- title of the book
- word count (not page count)
- a brief summary of your work
- a rating (like a movie, G, PG, PG-13, R) and an explanation of why. (Like if there’s violence, language, or sex – I won’t judge you. I like to be prepared.)
Send to BBMorgan16(at)gmail.com. Enter “Book Review” in the subject bar so I won’t auto-delete.